Exhibit items of the museum
Bearer share with a value of 100 francs issued
by joint-stock company “Trams of Vitebsk”
Paragraph N4 of the contract, dated by February, 4th, 1896 provided, that ”… for realization of this enterprise Mr. F. Guillon has been authorized to form in Russia or abroad a joint-stock company or joint-stock company with the right of share issue, as well as bonds, with all bonds to be redeemed by day of the expiry of the term of concession.…“.
According to this paragraph of the contract, the official communication about establishment of a joint-stock company ”Trams of Vitebsk” (in other resource “Vitebsk tramways”) was documented on April, 25th, 1896 in Bruxelles, in a notary Mr. Leon Grossman presence and was published in "Monitor Belzh" on May, 13th, 1896, numbered 1826. Accordingly to this, shares in number of 12 000 on 100 francs everyone have been released. The public capital accountedfor 1,200,000 francs.
Semiautomatic cash-register with ticket-punch
Passenger servicing without the conductors was introduced in Vitebsk, at the beginning, in motor rail cars, and then, in 1967 – in attachable rail cars. For this purpose the user-friendly ticketing systems, namely, the semi automatic cash-registers, were introduced into the tram cars, with each tramcar being fully radio-equipped. At the same time, in accordance with the cityexecutive committee decisionfrom June 14, 1965, reduced-fare monthly tickets for pupils of the comprehensive schools, special and vocational schools were introduced into trams. Their cost was 75 copecks.
Model of the central power-station building
Electricity for tramway was generated by the central station, that was built in Zadunovskaya street near Nicolaevskaya cathedral square (nowadays a house N13 on Frunze street, and where the Literary museum is located at the present time).On May 1st 1897 the project of the tramway machine and boiler building was submitted for approval to the construction commission by the town council. Building of the power station was authorized in 1897, 20th of May.
Local stuff and brick produced by the “Kalkuni” brickfield, that was located near the town of Dvinsk, were used for building of the power station. The main part of brick smoke stack of 20.5 sazhen (measure of length = 2.34 metres) was built of radial brick, delivered from abroad. The power station building and all adjoining yard were illuminated by electrical lamps, from which three 960-candlepower voltage lamps and 20 Edison's filament lamps.
Electricity was generated by the tubular Bobcox and Wilcox high pressure steam boilers. Oil and firewood were used for boilers heating. Three two-cylinder compound steam engines transmitted electricity to the three 500-600V constant current dynamo machines of Schuckert system.
Symbolical key to the Trolleybus depot
A lot of various organizations took part in trolleybus depot construction. There were the Construction administration N37 of the Construction Trust N9 (this was a general contractor), the Construction administrations N39 and N50, Administration of mechanization N140, the Vitebsk mounting administrations of “Belelectromontazh”, “Belsantechmontazh”, “Belpromtechmontazh”, SMU “Liftmontazh”.
The builders of the Construction administration N37 of the Trust N9 handed over the Trolleybus depot symbolical key to the trolleybus management on the 1st September, 1978, at the celebratory meeting dedicated to the opening of the Trolleybus depot.
Model of double-decker rail coach of Fiodor Pirotskiy
As early as 1874, the Russian engineer and inventor Fiodor Pirotskiy pointed out that electric traction can be used to power the driving wheels of a railroad locomotive, In 1875-1876, he carried out experiments on the Sestroretskaya railroad. The experiments concerned transferring electrical power through the insulated rails. Electric-power was transmitted up to 1 kilometer distance. The second rail was used as a return wire. Power was transmitted to the small engine. Fiodor Pirotskiy placed anarticle with the results of his experiments in “Engineer magazine” in August, 1876. The experiments suggested him to use electric power for wagons running on metal rails. In 1880 for the first time in Russia, he made the double-decker motor coach run on rails by the use of electrical power. F. Pirotskiy presented the results of his experiments, namely, the model of electrical rail road, at the Paris Electrical Exhibition in 1881.